Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Post Wedding Blues? Part Two

I read an article this weekend on Focus on the Family's website that talked about 'Post-Wedding Blues.' http://www.focusonthefamily.ca/marriage/first-five-years/something-blue
This made so much sense! For so long I've wondered what the heck is wrong with me?! I just got married to man of my dreams, this is supposed to be the most blissful season of my life, so why hasn't it been? My gracious husband read the article as well, and rather than judging me, or wondering if he did something wrong to make me feel this way, he understood me.

...And I have a huntch that I'm not alone. I don't think this is a popular topic, probably because no new bride wants to say to her husband that she's even remotely unhappy. And she probably can't understand the source of her lack of joy either. But for any new bride that happens to read this and has experienced these things, I want you to know you are not alone. It's very real to experience sadness, especially if you've moved to a new city, new state, or a new country and left friends and family behind. It is such a vulnerable place to be where the enemy just spews lies at you. But remember, God gave you this man, He arranged this beautiful marriage, nothing about it was a mistake.

You probably know that the Bible calls us to "leave and cleave" when we marry. We are to leave our families, and cleave to our husbands. This means that the role of spiritual authority and leader no longer belongs to our fathers, but to our husbands. I understand all this, and I see now how I probably needed this isolation from all things familiar to learn to let my husband have that role in my life. It's taken the difficult times to build this strong foundation. We are about to move back to Texas, close to family, close to our friends. And while neither of us can WAIT any longer, we can't wait to spend time with these people again, we know now how to put each other first. We value putting each other first, and I'm confident this foundation can't be shaken.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Darling Steph,

Thank you for your transparency. I'm so glad that God is so tightly knitting the two of you together.

I'm praying for Rob, your little one, and you.

Love you,

Samantha Lauren

Unknown said...

i love reading the wisdom in your words! i am so glad i found your little blog in this huge blog world :]
thank you for sharing and being vulnerable!

Adrianna said...

I'm glad you will be home soon. I love reading what's going on in your life because I feel like you are speaking to me in person. Love you Steph. I will continue to pray for you and your family. :)