Sunday, October 16, 2011

Regret

A word I live with...a lot. There are a lot of things recently that I've felt regret about. A big one has been moving to Texas when we did. I've looked back on our decision and the timing so many times and my heart just wonders if it was the right thing. It placed us in the difficult position of me being the provider because Rob can't work here yet, which has caused a lot of stress on my end.

A more recent decision I've felt regret over is going on maternity leave when I did. I listened to my doctor who was so surprised by my progress and was saying "any day now, any day now!" Now here we are, two weeks into this "any day now" bologna. It could have been another paycheck in the bank.

But the book I mentioned yesterday addresses this issue. Joyce Meyer explains that regret is how the devil loves to work. Satan waits until a decision has been made, until it's too late to change anything, when you can no longer do anything about it. Then he tries to bring on regret and condemnation.

I believe the Holy Spirit guides me in my decision. He speaks to me and gives warning signals if I shouldn't do something. Now of course I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, I don't hear correctly sometimes, but even if that's the case, God is not the one filling me with regret! Quite contrary, God loves to show His kindness, which leads to repentance, when we've made mistakes.

Satan wants to steal our peace and joy. What better way to do that than do fill us with regret and waste our time over that which cannot be changed?!

I will not be burdened by regret. I trust that God has led us in each of our decisions. And if we have made mistakes, His love, grace and mercy for us is not based on our performance or if we do the right thing or not! Grace is unmerited, and it is who God is! He will always be there to take care of us.

No comments: