Saturday, October 15, 2011

Enjoying Life

Enjoying where you are, on the way to where you are going...

That's the title of a book I just started reading by Joyce Meyer. A little gem of a thing I found in the dirt of life's mess right now.

I think we can all relate in some way or another. We're often looking ahead to what's next...it will be better when I get that promotion, when I'm able to move to this place, when I finally get married, when the babies are out of diapers, etc, etc...

When I was a house director at Teen Mania, my biggest message to the girls under my leadership was to make the most of whatever situation you are in. That was easy for me to preach back then. I was in one of the best seasons of my life, and even though Rob and I were long distance, I held on to the fact that I knew we'd be together for the rest of our lives and I only had that short window of time at Teen Mania left.

But since leaving Teen Mania, enjoying life in the season that I'm in has been the most difficult thing to do! When I was working with Rob's foster sister, I always said life would be better when I got a different job. When it was bitter cold and snowing every other day, I said life would be better once it was warmer again (hmm, well it kinda was better...haha). Then I said life would be better once we were back in Texas. Now I say life will be better when we are done with immigration, when Rob can get a job, when I'm done being pregnant, when we have a better place to live. It's never ending!

I'm only on chapter 3 of this book, so I can see more blog posts in the future on this topic. Right now I'm learning to wake up to the fact that there isn't one final destination on this journey that's the jackpot to happiness. I desire to enjoy the journey, and to once again make the most of each season of life. I'm hoping and praying that this little book will spark a change in my heart and my attitude toward the season we are in.

No comments: