Friday, July 2, 2010

One Year Ago Today

Today is July 2nd. A milestone date. It was one year ago today that Rob and I started dating! It was a big deal leading up to it. I had turned him down twice already - I wasn't interested in dating anyone, at all, and I wasn't quick to make an exception. Then after seeking the Lord, asking for peace and clear direction, the Lord spoke very clearly to my heart, and simply gave me the word, "ready." So I began to allow a deeper friendship with Rob to develop. Then on July 2, 2009, he planned a scavenger hunt for me that evening. He gave me one little paper clue, then off I went finding more clues, taking pictures along the way, the last clue leading me back to his house where he had dinner waiting for me. That night he asked me if I was ready to begin a courtship...and I said yes! Guess third time is a charm, eh?

There are so many things I'm thankful for when I think about this season that began a year ago. First off - I'm so thankful Rob didn't just give up on me when I said no the first two times! He believed he had clear direction from the Lord, and Rob trusted in Him the entire time. He was patient, but he didn't just quit on me. That says a lot about his character, his faithfulness, that he's not just gonna quit on me when things get tough in the future.

Second - I'm SOOOOO glad I sought God, and allowed Him to interrupt my plans for my life. He had something far better for me, but I had to trust Him. My life would be dramatically different had I not trusted Him about this.

I'd always wondered what it would be like to be with someone for an entire year. This may sound terrible, but I always wondered how people didn't get bored with each other after that long. Haha gosh, the naiveté. Well, I'm definitely not bored with him, that's for sure! In fact, last night I was reading through some early journal entries and began to weep and just thank God for His grace and mercy. I know I don't deserve what I've been given, and I am simply overwhelmed at God's love for me.

I am so thankful for this past year, and for God's sustaining grace during this year long separation. It's truly amazing to look back on it all, and I'm looking forward to the time that lies ahead.

-The future Mrs. Griffioen

No comments: